Uses and abuses of marijuana
As a drug, the body until it hits knocked out; but when it is conceived as a remedy, it is capable of mitigating the effects of devastating diseases. It knows its two opposite faces.
Negative effects of marijuana
Marijuana has the dishonor of being the illegal substance more consumed on the planet. According to the United Nations Office for drugs and crime, they currently smoke Maria (or failing hash) between 119 and 224 million people around the world. The figure seems bleak, but it is more if you consider that the average age of home is of only 15 years.
Ingest this substance so early can have irreversible consequences. A recent study of the King´s College in London, Duke University (United States) and the University of Otago (New Zealand) has concluded that smoking dope in adolescence affects the development of the brain and impairs intellectual abilities in the long run.
Both young people and adults, most of the harmful effects of cannabis are associated to the brain; However, it is not the only region in our agency who suffer their adverse effects:
- In relation to the central nervous system, the consumption of this substance produces effects like euphoria, difficulty learning, decreased concentration, faulty memory or difficulty in speech.
- It does harm to the given respiratory system being the most widespread way of consuming marijuana smoking. Cannabis causes irritation of the respiratory tract and is a risk factor for the occurrence of pulmonary and bronchial disorders.
- The cardiovascular system also suffers and the onset of tachycardia is possible if the cannabis is abused.
- Regular consumption of marijuana relaxes the immune system to the point of making us more vulnerable against the invasion of microorganisms.
- The action of the marijuana on the endocrine system can cause impotence in men and reduce the production of eggs in the female.
Most of these negative effects of marijuana disappear in the short term, however, abuse can lead to disorders such as anxiety, panic, depression, psychosis, abnormal behavior, lack of motivation or withdrawal.
Therapeutic use of marijuana
While marijuana abuse causes harmful effects to health, it is also capable of helping you live better to certain people(Click here for more info). Although its therapeutic use is still very limited, in some countries allows its prescription as a palliative for diseases terminals and neural degenerative disorders. In fact, there are even made with substances cannabinoid drugs.
The key to therapeutic marijuana is in its composition, containing similar proportions of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), which is the substance that boosts the analgesic capacity of the plant. This is achieved by cultivation techniques.
The major palliative benefits that have contributed to marijuana therapy are:
- Inhibits the nausea and vomiting with those suffering from cancer and AIDS which are subjected tochemotherapy.
- It acts as an analgesic for pain in diseases such as multiple sclerosisor spinal cord injuries.
- It stimulates the appetite and facilitates the increase of the weight of patients with anorexia for serious pathologies.
- Reduces spasms and contractions caused by diseases such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s.
- Fight anxiety and depression.
- It contains agents which protect neurons in the event of a traumatic brain injury or stroke.
Aside from all those indications, there must be clear that the fact that cannabis is used for therapeutic purposes does not mean that it is good for the health. Much that is modify its composition to reduce the harmful effects, harmful substances are still present.